Where did the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome arise?

The virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) first arose in southern China in 2002. Although most of the cases occurred in Asia, the virus spread rapidly to many countries within one year of its emergence. Fortunately, the outbreak was contained. The last confirmed case of SARS occurred in 2004.

Continue Learning about SARS

What is incubation period of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
The incubation period, or amount of time for symptoms to appear after infection, of severe acute res...
How do I care for someone with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a contagious illness that can be serious.Fortunately...
Is severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) serious?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) can be serious. Symptoms vary from relatively mild to sever...
What should I tell a doctor if I suspect severe acute respiratory syndrome?
If a person suspects that he or she may have severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), first contact...