What type of virus causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?

The virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a type of coronavirus (SARS-associated coronavirus). Coronaviruses frequently cause cold-like symptoms, but the SARS coronavirus produced much more severe symptoms. Part of the reason for the severity of symptoms is the fact that the human population had not been previously exposed to SARS-associated coronavirus.

Continue Learning about SARS

Does severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) cause pneumonia?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) often does cause pneumonia (inflammation of the lungs). The...
Is there a cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
There is no cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Antiviral drugs may provide some ...
Would a person exposed to the SARS virus be quarantined?
Quarantine is the confining of a person who has been exposed to a particular illness but does not ha...
How do I manage my severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
A person who has been diagnosed with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) may require hospitaliz...