Would a person exposed to the SARS virus be quarantined?

Quarantine is the confining of a person who has been exposed to a particular illness but does not have symptoms of the illness. Quarantine was used in some Asian countries during the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak of 2003. It was not recommended in the United States, where only a low number of cases occurred. Quarantine could be used in the future should the SARS virus reemerge.

Continue Learning about SARS

Is severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) serious?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) can be serious. Symptoms vary from relatively mild to sever...
How do I manage my severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
A person who has been diagnosed with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) may require hospitaliz...
Where did the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome arise?
The virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) first arose in southern China in 2002...
Should I talk to a doctor about severe acute respiratory syndrome symptoms?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a potentially serious illness. If you experience symptom...