Would a person exposed to the SARS virus be quarantined?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Quarantine is the confining of a person who has been exposed to a particular illness but does not have symptoms of the illness. Quarantine was used in some Asian countries during the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak of 2003. It was not recommended in the United States, where only a low number of cases occurred. Quarantine could be used in the future should the SARS virus reemerge.

Continue Learning about SARS

Should I talk to a doctor about severe acute respiratory syndrome symptoms?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a potentially serious illness. If you experience symptom...
How do other illnesses affect severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
People who have other illnesses are more vulnerable to severe acute respiratory symptom (SARS). ...
Will there be more cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
It is possible that the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) could reenter the...
How do I care for someone with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a contagious illness that can be serious.Fortunately...