How do I care for someone with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a contagious illness that can be serious.Fortunately, there have been no reported cases since 2004.

A person providing care for an infected individual should follow doctor's instructions and ensure that the individual gets adequate sleep, fluids, and nutrition, and whatever medicine has been prescribed. It is also important to protect yourself from contracting the illness. This can be done by washing hands frequently, wearing an approved respirator (mask) when near the infected person, wearing gloves when there is potential contact with bodily fluids or when handling potentially infected objects, such as bedding and towels, and disinfecting surfaces that may have been touched by the infected individual. Be alert to any symptoms that you may have caught the illness--fever, chills, aches, cough, headache--and if you do, see the doctor.

Continue Learning about SARS

What is the rate of incidence of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) entered the human population in 2002 and caused a global ou...
Will there be more cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
It is possible that the virus that causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) could reenter the...
Is there a vaccine for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
Vaccines have recently been developed and tested in clinical trials. The results of the testing sugg...
How do I manage my severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
A person who has been diagnosed with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) may require hospitaliz...