Will a flu shot protect me from severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?

The annual flu shot is protective only for certain strains of influenza. It does not provide protection from severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Vaccines for SARS are currently under development.

The flu shot will not protect you from severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Having had the seasonal flu doesn't protect you against SARS either. The flu is caused by an influenza virus, while SARS is caused by a coronavirus -- usually coronaviruses cause only mild symptoms, but SARS is considerably more dangerous. Fortunately, there have been no new SARS cases since 2004, but a vaccine is being developed in case of a future outbreak.

Continue Learning about SARS

What is incubation period of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
The incubation period, or amount of time for symptoms to appear after infection, of severe acute res...
Is there a cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
There is no cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Antiviral drugs may provide some ...
Does severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) cause pneumonia?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) often does cause pneumonia (inflammation of the lungs). The...
What should I tell a doctor if I suspect severe acute respiratory syndrome?
If a person suspects that he or she may have severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), first contact...