What causes severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is the result of an infection by a virus, a strain of coronavirus. The virus is spread mostly through the inhalation of droplets from the cough or sneeze of an infected person. The virus first emerged in humans in early 2003 and quickly caused a nearly global outbreak. The outbreak was contained by 2004. In September 2012, a SARS-like virus was identified in a man in Britain. The World Health Organization is investigating the virus.

Continue Learning about SARS

Does severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) affect children differently?
Children, especially pre-adolescent children, seemed to suffer milder symptoms and have better outco...
How do I care for someone with severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is a contagious illness that can be serious.Fortunately...
Is there a cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)?
There is no cure for severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS). Antiviral drugs may provide some ...
What should I tell a doctor if I suspect severe acute respiratory syndrome?
If a person suspects that he or she may have severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), first contact...