How can my child and I avoid getting a Salmonella infection from our pet?

Follow these simple guidelines to prevent getting a Salmonella infection from your pet:

• After contact with animals, their food, or their environments, wash your hands well with soap and running water. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not readily available.
  • Clean up after your pet. If you have a cat, scoop the litter box daily and dispose of the stool in a tightly sealed plastic bag. If you have a dog, clean up the stool while on walks or from the yard daily and dispose of the stool in a tightly sealed plastic bag.
  • Children younger than 5 years of age should not be allowed to touch or eat pet food, treats, or supplements and should be kept away from pet feeding areas. Young children are especially at risk for illness because their immune systems are still developing and because they are more likely than others to put their fingers or other items into their mouths.

Continue Learning about Salmonella Food Poisoning

What You Need to Know About Salmonella in Hawaii
Hawaii is ranked as the healthiest state in the country, according to America’s Health Rankings by the United Health Foundation, where Kamaaina can ex...
What You Need to Know About Salmonella
What You Need to Know About Salmonella
Salmonella, or salmonellosis, is a bacterial infection that sets up shop in your gut and can wreak havoc on your intestinal tract. Named after Daniel ...
To Eat Fewer Calories, Enjoy Calm Meals
To Eat Fewer Calories, Enjoy Calm Meals