What are two Earth-friendly ways to beautify my yard?

Here are two simple ways to improve the green karma of your yard:
- Plant a Tree. Sounds trite, doesn't it? But by replacing your grass with bushes and trees, you're reducing the need for gas guzzling and polluting mowers, and providing oxygen to the environment and removing carbon dioxide. Add to that the habitats you provide for birds and small animals, and you can't beat the tree plan.
- Compost. You can do your own personal recycling of all your vegetable debris, leaves, old cut flowers, grass clippings, and newspapers. You really don't need to buy the wheelbarrow, hoses, sprayers, pitchforks, shovels, rakes, and screens that some "advisors" tell you to buy. In fact, nature will take care of itself quite nicely. You can put the plant material in a hole in your backyard or you can buy or build a box. Throw in a little dirt and let the rain and your neighborhood worms do the work. After a few months, your compost will be the perfect material to nourish your newly planted Christmas tree.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...