What are two Earth-friendly ways to beautify my yard?

Here are two simple ways to improve the green karma of your yard:
- Plant a Tree. Sounds trite, doesn't it? But by replacing your grass with bushes and trees, you're reducing the need for gas guzzling and polluting mowers, and providing oxygen to the environment and removing carbon dioxide. Add to that the habitats you provide for birds and small animals, and you can't beat the tree plan.
- Compost. You can do your own personal recycling of all your vegetable debris, leaves, old cut flowers, grass clippings, and newspapers. You really don't need to buy the wheelbarrow, hoses, sprayers, pitchforks, shovels, rakes, and screens that some "advisors" tell you to buy. In fact, nature will take care of itself quite nicely. You can put the plant material in a hole in your backyard or you can buy or build a box. Throw in a little dirt and let the rain and your neighborhood worms do the work. After a few months, your compost will be the perfect material to nourish your newly planted Christmas tree.

YOU: Being Beautiful: The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?