Why should I wear a mouthguard when playing sports?

A properly fitted mouthguard, or mouth protector, is an important piece of athletic gear that can help protect your smile. You should use a mouthguard during any activity that could result in a blow to the face or mouth.

Mouthguards help prevent broken teeth and injuries to the lips, tongue, face or jaw. A properly fitted mouthguard will stay in place while you are wearing it. It should be easy for you to talk and breathe.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?