Why should I wear a mouthguard during sports?

Certain sports, like hockey and martial arts, are prone to face and teeth injury. But even sports like tennis, volleyball, gymnastics and baseball have a high risk for these injuries. According to the American Dental Association, wearing a mouth guard not only protects your teeth but can also protect against injuries to the jaw, face, tongue and lips. While some people may electively pierce their lips or tongues, no one wants to have a tooth through these sensitive parts of the body. Look for mouth guards that are flexible, resist tearing, do not restrict your breathing, and have a proper fit.

While mouth-guards do protect the teeth from breaking due to contact in sports like boxing, football, hockey, lacrosse and even gymnastics or skateboarding, there are some risks to the wearer. Our studies have shown that with use, mouth-guards become contaminated with germs that can make the athlete sick. Within one week of wear, not only is the mouth-guard surface contaminated with a wide range of bacteria, yeasts, and molds, but the pores in the material are loaded. Add to this the fact that the mouth-guard becomes sharp and jagged; there is an excellent chance to cut the mouth tissues and introduce these germs into the blood stream. Many of the germs we found could produce asthma-like symptoms, mouth sores, nausea, and vomiting. Based again on our studies, the mouth-guard should be stored in a closed container of Medical or Polident when not in use. 

While mouth-guards do protect the teeth from breaking due to contact in sports like boxing, football, hockey, lacrosse and even gymnastics or skateboarding, there are some risk to the wearer. Our studies have shown that with use, mouth-guards become contaminated with germs that can make the athlete sick. Within one week of wear, not only is the mouth-guard surface contaminated with a wide range of bacteria, yeasts, and molds, but the pores in the material are loaded. Add to this the fact that the mouth-guard becomes sharp and jagged; there is an excellent chance to cut the mouth tissues and introduce these germs into the blood stream. Many of the germs we found could produce asthma-like symptoms, mouth sores, nausea, and vomiting. Based again on our studies, the mouth-guard should be stored in a closed container of Medical or Polident when not in use. The mouth-guard also should be change at least weekly.

When it comes to protecting your smile during active sports, a properly fitted mouthguard is a key piece of athletic gear. Mouthguards cushion impact that may otherwise cause broken teeth, jaw injuries, or cuts to the lip, tongue or face.

Mouthguards are most commonly used in contact sports, such as boxing, football, hockey and lacrosse. However, evidence has shown that even in non-contact sports like gymnastics or skateboarding, mouthguards help prevent mouth and jaw injuries.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Every year it seems like more hurricanes and tropical storms are hurdling towards Hawaii. Although there were no direct hits in 2018, the Central Paci...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
Why is there resistance to wearing a safety helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Not wearing a safety helmet has become such a norm for many in the equine world.  Although, if quest...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?