Why should I wear a mouthguard during sports?

Certain sports, like hockey and martial arts, are prone to face and teeth injury. But even sports like tennis, volleyball, gymnastics and baseball have a high risk for these injuries. According to the American Dental Association, wearing a mouth guard not only protects your teeth but can also protect against injuries to the jaw, face, tongue and lips. While some people may electively pierce their lips or tongues, no one wants to have a tooth through these sensitive parts of the body. Look for mouth guards that are flexible, resist tearing, do not restrict your breathing, and have a proper fit.
When it comes to protecting your smile during active sports, a properly fitted mouthguard is a key piece of athletic gear. Mouthguards cushion impact that may otherwise cause broken teeth, jaw injuries, or cuts to the lip, tongue or face.

Mouthguards are most commonly used in contact sports, such as boxing, football, hockey and lacrosse. However, evidence has shown that even in non-contact sports like gymnastics or skateboarding, mouthguards help prevent mouth and jaw injuries.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...