Why should I restrict my child's use of the Facebook Places application?

Shawn Edgington
Pediatrics
By using global positioning system (GPS) technology, Facebook Places provides all Facebook users with the ability to let their friends know exactly where they are, on a real-time basis. Here's the problem: According to a survey conducted by AOL, 54 percent of teens surveyed said they don't know all of their friends that are connected to their social network.

Facebook automatically defaults the privacy settings on Places to "friends." That's where problems can arise. It means that all the friends of the friends of the direct friends that your child has added to their site get the same information. Fifty-four percent of children surveyed will likely be sharing their current location with people they don't personally know. What this means is if we don't educate our children, half of the teens out there will likely share their location with people they don't know.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
Why is there resistance to wearing a safety helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Not wearing a safety helmet has become such a norm for many in the equine world.  Although, if quest...
What are the benefits of acclimatizing people working in hot environments?
The benefits of acclimatization—helping employees adjust to working in hot environments—include phys...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?