Why might I use an off-the-shelf knee brace?

Functional or off-the-shelf knee braces have many uses, but primarily stabilize the knee during rotational movement. The knee can have many different forces acting on the joint, especially during physical activity. Sometimes a brace can be used to stabilize your knee joint. Knee braces are mainly used for the treatment and rehabilitation of knee joint instability (like an ACL, PCL, or MCL injury).

Athletes with knee joint instability may consider using a functional knee brace if they perform actions that include fast rotation or changes in direction and have had previous injury to that area. Knee braces help with knee joint instability, so if you have had a previous ligament injury to the knee joint area or feel that your knee joint is unstable, try using a knee brace (and doing leg exercises) to see if the stability improves or pain goes away during physical activity. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...
What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
 Due to the litigious society that we live in, it is strongly recommended that everyone wear a helme...