Why is it important to help workers adjust to working in hot environments?

If you have a business where your employees work in a hot environment, make sure your workers drink enough liquids, and give them rest breaks. You should also acclimatize your workers by gradually increasing the time they work in hot environments.

One report presented 20 cases of heat-related illnesses or death of workers. In most of these cases employers had no program to prevent heat illness, or programs were deficient. Acclimatization was the most common program element missing and most clearly associated with employee death.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Protect Yourself Against Meningitis and Smoke Exposure
Q: My son is enrolled at a small college in Vermont and I heard that there was an outbreak of meningitis on East Coast college campuses. He’s had a lo...
How common are injuries from fireworks?
Kendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaKendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
Burns are a common injury from fireworks. In fact, they're more common that you would think. Yet, fi...
What are some summer safety tips?
Summer safety will depend on what region you live in, but a few good rules of thumb are sunscreen, h...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?