Why is it important to lock my child’s car seat?

Your child’s car seat only works if used the right way. It is important to lock your child’s car seat in place.

• To check for a tight fit, hold the car seat where the seat belt goes through it. Try to move the car seat from side to side. If the car seat slides forward or sideways more than 1 inch, your child may not be protected in a crash.
  • Your vehicle may have built-in devices to secure the car seat.Read your vehicle owner’s manual to know what you need to secure your child’s car seat.
  • Check your vehicle owner’s manual and your car seat instructions. Verify if you need a locking clip and how to use it to secure your child’s car seat. Locking clips come with all car seats. If you do not have one, buy it from a baby store or order it from your car seat manufacturer.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
How can I keep my steps and walkways free of ice during winter?
Walking on ice is extremely dangerous. Many cold-weather injuries result from falls on ice-covered s...
Why is it important for children to sit in the back seat of a car?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
It is important for children to sit in the back seat of a car rather than the front seat because air...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?