Why should I buy a custom mouthguard instead of a ready-made mouthguard?

When it comes to protecting your smile during active sports, a properly fitted mouthguard is a key piece of athletic gear. Mouthguards cushion impact that may otherwise cause broken teeth, jaw injuries, or cuts to the lip, tongue or face. Ready-made mouthguards may be cheaper, but do not fit as well and can make it harder to speak or breathe. The less comfortable the mouthguard, the less likely it will be worn regularly. If it doesn't fit properly, it is not protective. Since treating a sports-related dental injury can cost thousands of dollars, a custom mouthguard is money well spent. Discuss types of mouthguards with your dentist and select one that works for your needs and budget.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?