Why do some coaches require players to wear ankle braces?

Ankle sprains are one of the most common sports injuries. Because of this, some coaches choose to have their players wear ankle braces on both ankles, healthy or unhealthy, with the idea that it will help prevent future ankle injuries. There is mixed research on the effectiveness of this process, but those in favor state that they see significantly fewer ankle sprains with the addition of ankle braces within a short time span. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
Here are some tips for preventing injuries from motor vehicle crashes: Always use seat belts, chi...
What supplies should women pack when traveling abroad?
Traveling abroad can sometimes mean a new set of personal hygiene and health regulations, but until ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?