When should an athletic event be stopped because of lightning?

It is not safe to participate in athletic events when the amount of time between thunder and a lightning strike (the "flash to bang") is less than 30 seconds. It is safe to return to play if there has been at least 30 minutes since the last lightning strike.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What are some summer safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Here are some summer safety tips. If you are planning to barbecue: If you are using a propane gas...
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?