When should an athletic practice or game be cancelled due to weather?

Rain, hail, snow, strong winds, and excessive heat are all possible reasons for canceling or postponing a practice or game.

It is important that coaches and athletes are made aware of such possibilities. A backup plan for practice may need to be developed with the coaches' input. For example, practice can be moved to an indoor facility, if available.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?
A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore,...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?