What can I teach my child to be safe on the Internet?

The following are some rules for safe surfing:

• Remain anonymous. Don’t give out personal info: name, birth date, address, city, school.
  • Go undercover. Create an alias.
  • Raise red flags. Alert an adult if inappropriate contact is made by someone in a chat room, on a bulletin board, or in e-mail.
  • Be nice. No flaming, spamming, or bullying allowed.
  • No pictures. Limit or prohibit the posting of photos on a personal Web page or online community.
  • No talking to strangers. Don’t open e-mail from someone unknown.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Do the Grandparents Know Current Child Safety Info?
    You know that if your grandkids are coming to stay with you, you’ve got to do some preparation: Buy all their favorite foods (especially those ones to...
    How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
    Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
    Why is there resistance to wearing a safety helmet?
    Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
    Not wearing a safety helmet has become such a norm for many in the equine world.  Although, if quest...
    Is it legal for my child to have a pet turtle?
    Since 1975, it has been illegal in the United States to sell or distribute turtles with shells that ...