What skills are tested in the Needed Scuba Assistance (NSA) evaluation?

The Needed Scuba Assistance (NSA) evaluation highlights whether the diver requires assistance to perform the following key scuba skills or may need the following adaptive equipment:
  • controlled ascents and descents
  • equalization of ears and mask
  • out-of-air emergency alternatives, such as share air and buddy breathe
  • use of a full-face mask or other special equipment required for underwater breathing
These skills are particularly important to perform correctly in order to dive safely. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
How can schools encourage students to report threats of violence?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
75 percent of teens contemplating suicide, homicide or a school shooting tell their plans to a p...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?