What safety rules should I teach my kids about swimming?

Kids should be made aware of the following rules when swimming:

• Never run near a swimming pool.
  • Never push others or jump on others around water.
  • Never swim alone.
  • Jump in water feet first rather than headfirst if water is shallow (5 to 6 feet or less).
  • If you believe you are in trouble, immediately call or wave for help.
  • Follow pool regulations and lifeguard directions.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
What features in a car are important for seniors to adjust for safety?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Newer vehicles have many features that can be adjusted for safety and convenience that are ideal for...