What are the roles on an adaptive dive team?

The diver with the highest level of certification or experience should serve as the leader of the three-person adaptive dive team (ADT). Naturally, during training, the adaptive scuba instructor will always be the team leader. Members work with the team leader to decide and agree upon who will do what. If the adaptive diver needs assistance with controlled ascents and descents, equalization, out-of-air emergency alternatives or needs a full-face mask, the team leader will determine how and who will provide assistance -- with the adaptive diver’s approval.

Any team diving with an adaptive diver who needs special assistance with key scuba skills should have a fourth diver in the water to act as a buddy for an adaptive dive buddy (ADB). In the event an ADB encounters a problem compelling him or her to leave the ADT, the extra diver will serve as his or her buddy to provide assistance. Conversely, if the extra diver has a problem, one of the ADBs should serve as his or her buddy. Should either scenario occur, all divers should end the dive and start their return to the surface. The extra diver does not need to be certified as an ADB. For ADTs with adaptive divers who do not require assistance with key scuba skills, the extra diver is also recommended, if the team determines that the AD and one ADB would not be capable of rendering emergency assistance to the other ADB. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Akamai Beach Safety Tips
Kamaaina are already pretty savvy when it comes to staying safe at the beach. Endless precautions are instilled in your subconscious—remain relaxed if...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
How can I protect my child from being poisoned?
Here are some tips for preventing poisoning: Keep medicines away from children and teens. Keep c...
How can I keep my child safe at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To keep your child safe at home, follow these guidelines: Install gates at top and bottom of stai...