What types of relationships can help my child feel safe?

There are several types of relationships that can help make a child feel safe and improve a child's overall sense of well-being. These include:
  • Positive interactions between parents and child: Children are safer and healthier when they enjoy a close, caring relationship with parents who nurture and respect them.
  • Caring adults outside immediate family: Aside from parents and guardians, children need adults in their lives to serve as mentors and provide enriching companionship to parents.
  • Positive peer relationships: A child’s own friends provide support and are instrumental in a child’s social and emotional development.
  • Positive community: Churches, clubs and neighborhood groups can provide safe, stable and equitable environments for children and families. Strong community enriches lives by providing company of others and access to helpful family resources.
Allied to these are parenting skills and having an understanding of child development. Effective parents are “experts on parenting” with knowledge of child development, discipline strategies and other parenting skills.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How does milk get contaminated?
Milk contamination can occur in many different ways. Some ways include: Cow feces coming into dir...
How can I keep my child safe when visiting an animal exhibit?
Below are ways to keep children safe around animals when visiting animal exhibits: Children young...
How can I keep my family safe around water?
You can keep your family safe through close adult supervision, using life jackets or floating device...