What should I do if I think my protective sports equipment is not working?

If the protective equipment is custom-fitted and was prescribed to you by a health professional, you should first talk to that person to determine whether that equipment is correct for you or if the equipment needs to be adjusted or fitted differently. Off-the-shelf protective equipment can pose a problem because there can be issues in determining the right size and whether the equipment will still be effective if it does not fit properly. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How can I help prevent my child from drowning?
You cannot be too vigilant around pools, lakes, oceans and bathtubs. If you have a pool, make sure t...
How effective are seat belts?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Seat belts are by far the most effective protection against avoiding injury and even death in a car ...
What features in a car are important for seniors to adjust for safety?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Newer vehicles have many features that can be adjusted for safety and convenience that are ideal for...