What can I do to help prevent my infant or toddler from falling?

Towanda Stewart
Nursing

Some simple ways to help your toddler (maybe just starting to walk) avoid falling are:

• making sure shoelaces are not too long, tied or in shoe lace keepers
  • making sure paths are clutter free by teaching and assisting your toddler to put his/ her blocks away and toys in toy chests or closets
  • ensuring frequently played with toys are accessible to your toddler making sure there is no reason for your toddler to climb to obtain toys displayed on bookcases, shelves or on top of dressers
  • insisting that your toddler walk and not run while maneuvering inside buildings with furniture
  • ensuring that rugs are tapped to the floor to avoid tripping
  • promptly cleaning spills to avoid slipping

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?