What do I need to know about placing my NICU baby's car seat in the car?

When placing your NICU baby's car seat in the car:
  • The backseat, especially the center backseat, is the safest place for an infant seat. (Never put a baby in the front passenger seat of a vehicle with air bags.)
  • Keep your baby’s car seat rear-facing for as long as the seat allows, usually around two years and until your baby weighs at least 30 pounds. If needed, change to a convertible seat to keep your baby rear-facing longer.
  • When installed properly, the child safety seat should move very little: one inch or less side-to-side and front-to-back (front-to-back at the safety belt or L.A.T.C.H. belt path).
  • Always read your vehicle manufacturer’s instruction manual to learn how your seat belts lock.
  • With older car models, you might need to use a locking clip with the lap/shoulder belt.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Sepsis and Electric Scooters: Growing Health Concerns
Q: I hear that sepsis is an ever-increasing problem in nursing homes. We have just recently put my mom into a care facility. Do we need to be concerne...
How can I travel safely during winter?
Be cautious about travel during winter. Here are a few tips: Listen for radio or television repor...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?