What are ways to keep athletes safe during a practice or game?

Before practice or a game, you can keep athletes safe by ensuring that the sidelines are clear of debris, benches, holes, or divots, so that if the athletes leave the playing field they will not be injured. You can also make sure that any benches or walls near the playing area are padded.

During the event, you can make sure balls do not roll into the playing area and that water bottles are secured and do not enter the playing field. An athlete who accidentally steps on a round object can sprain his ankle.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
How can I prepare my car for winter?
You can avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead. Have maintenance service on y...
How can I keep my steps and walkways free of ice during winter?
Walking on ice is extremely dangerous. Many cold-weather injuries result from falls on ice-covered s...
How can I keep my child safe at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To keep your child safe at home, follow these guidelines: Install gates at top and bottom of stai...