What is acid?

Acid is a chemical that gives off hydrogen ions in water and forms salts by combining with certain metals. Acids have a sour taste and turn certain dyes red. Some acids made by the body, such as gastric acid, can help the body work the way it should. An example of an acid is hydrochloric acid.

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What’s in Your Tap Water?
What’s in Your Tap Water?
When LeBron starts his gameday around 9 am, he grabs a gallon jug filled with water and aims to finish it before he gets on the bus to head to the are...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Barbara Ficarra, RNBarbara Ficarra, RN
While adult bicyclists are not required by state law to wear helmets, young riders are required to w...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?