What are the health risks of processed meats?

Processed meats such as cold cuts, bacon, sausages, and hot dogs contain nitrates, chemical additives that preserve freshness. Nitrates have been linked to stomach cancer and other degenerative diseases. These fatty meat products also are full of unhealthy saturated fat that can raise levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease and strokes.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com
Processed meat -- bacon, pastrami, and the like -- is as high in saturated fat as other types of red meat, and that's bad for your cholesterol. It's also high in sodium, which can boost your blood pressure, and nitrates, which may mess with your body's glucose tolerance and raise your risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. The equivalent of a couple of slices of deli meat or a hot dog a day is linked to a 42 percent higher risk of cardiovascular disease and a 19 percent greater risk of diabetes.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
How should I store my pet food safely?
Dry pet food and treats may contain germs, such as Salmonella. Follow these storage tips to help pre...
How can I keep my child safe when visiting an animal exhibit?
Below are ways to keep children safe around animals when visiting animal exhibits: Children young...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?