What are the health risks of processed meats?

Processed meat -- bacon, pastrami, and the like -- is as high in saturated fat as other types of red meat, and that's bad for your cholesterol. It's also high in sodium, which can boost your blood pressure, and nitrates, which may mess with your body's glucose tolerance and raise your risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes. The equivalent of a couple of slices of deli meat or a hot dog a day is linked to a 42 percent higher risk of cardiovascular disease and a 19 percent greater risk of diabetes.

Processed meats such as cold cuts, bacon, sausages, and hot dogs contain nitrates, chemical additives that preserve freshness. Nitrates have been linked to stomach cancer and other degenerative diseases. These fatty meat products also are full of unhealthy saturated fat that can raise levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease and strokes.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How do I prevent drowsy driving?
American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM)
To prevent drowsy driving, do the following: Plan ahead by taking an afternoon nap before driving...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?