What can be done to make sure restaurants are clean?

Peter DeLucia
Health Education
To ensure a restaurant you are going to is clean, you can do some online research about the history of health inspections for that venue -- especially if you are planning a big event. Watch public health specialist Peter DeLucia, MPA, share his tips. 
Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Cleanliness starts with management that does not tolerate sloppiness. But even with health laws in place, penalties are not forceful enough, mostly because it is difficult for the public to find out which restaurants are filthy -- the reports are well hidden. So, here's a case where the public needs to be protected by stronger regulations. The heavy hand of the law needs to come down hard on dirty restaurants.

New York City and California have started grading restaurants A, B, and C on their cleanliness. The grades will soon be posted in their windows. That allows you, the consumer, to vote with your dollars. Clean restaurants with an A deserve your dollars. But if you see a B or C, unless you like spending time on the toilet, stay away from those joints.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Why is it important for children to sit in the back seat of a car?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
It is important for children to sit in the back seat of a car rather than the front seat because air...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?