What can be done to make sure restaurants are clean?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
Cleanliness starts with management that does not tolerate sloppiness. But even with health laws in place, penalties are not forceful enough, mostly because it is difficult for the public to find out which restaurants are filthy -- the reports are well hidden. So, here's a case where the public needs to be protected by stronger regulations. The heavy hand of the law needs to come down hard on dirty restaurants.

New York City and California have started grading restaurants A, B, and C on their cleanliness. The grades will soon be posted in their windows. That allows you, the consumer, to vote with your dollars. Clean restaurants with an A deserve your dollars. But if you see a B or C, unless you like spending time on the toilet, stay away from those joints.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...