What should I do about puddles on a playing field?

If there are puddles on the field, you should make sure players and coaches are made aware of their size and location. In addition, you may want to use a broom to sweep the water out of the puddle.

For example, in some baseball dugouts, water has a tendency to accumulate. In some cases, a drain will be present in the dugout floor, so water can be swept into the drain to decrease the chances of an athlete hurting himself when entering and exiting the dugout.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Washington State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
What are the benefits of acclimatizing people working in hot environments?
The benefits of acclimatization—helping employees adjust to working in hot environments—include phys...