What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?

A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore, out toward the sea. You may not know a rip current is there until you get caught in it. If that occurs, don't panic. Your instinct may be to try to swim against the current back toward shore, but that will likely only wear you out. Instead, swim sideways, parallel to the shore. A rip current is usually no more than 30 feet wide, so you will be able to swim out of it to the side, and then the waves can help carry you back to the beach.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
Why Texting and Driving Is So Dangerous
In Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, the good doctor’s monster was brought to life by high voltage electric shocks that jumpstarted the creature’s organs a...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
How can I keep my child safe when visiting an animal exhibit?
Below are ways to keep children safe around animals when visiting animal exhibits: Children young...
How can I help prevent my child from drowning?
You cannot be too vigilant around pools, lakes, oceans and bathtubs. If you have a pool, make sure t...