What should I do if I get caught in a riptide?

A riptide (rip current) is a narrow, powerful current of water that runs perpendicular to the shore, out toward the sea. You may not know a rip current is there until you get caught in it. If that occurs, don't panic. Your instinct may be to try to swim against the current back toward shore, but that will likely only wear you out. Instead, swim sideways, parallel to the shore. A rip current is usually no more than 30 feet wide, so you will be able to swim out of it to the side, and then the waves can help carry you back to the beach.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Bike safety Taking a bike ride is a great way to exercise. This low-impact cardio activity is a fun way to reach your aerobic activity goals. Get read...
How does milk get contaminated?
Milk contamination can occur in many different ways. Some ways include: Cow feces coming into dir...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?