What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?

The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips. It should never go across the upper half of your belly. The shoulder part of the seat belt should fit snugly across your chest and shoulder, not under your arm or across your neck or face.

The correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car is across the shoulder and chest and over the hips and thighs. Surprisingly many people don’t know they can adjust their seat belt so it fits both more comfortably and properly. As people age and possibly shrink in stature, it's important to reassess placement of this important safety feature to reduce the risk of fracture in a collision.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

E. coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce (Again)
Another nationwide outbreak of E. coli infection has prompted recalls of more than 75,000 pounds of romaine lettuce and other salad mixes that contain...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
Could I suffer health risks from eating in my car?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Food, Inc. exposed the many health dangers of the fast-food drive-thru, but a recent study has ident...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?