What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?

The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips. It should never go across the upper half of your belly. The shoulder part of the seat belt should fit snugly across your chest and shoulder, not under your arm or across your neck or face.

The correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car is across the shoulder and chest and over the hips and thighs. Surprisingly many people don’t know they can adjust their seat belt so it fits both more comfortably and properly. As people age and possibly shrink in stature, it's important to reassess placement of this important safety feature to reduce the risk of fracture in a collision.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
What are the legal implications of not wearing a helmet?
Barbara Ficarra, RNBarbara Ficarra, RN
While adult bicyclists are not required by state law to wear helmets, young riders are required to w...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?