What should I avoid doing to keep my child safe at home?

To keep your child safe at home:
  • Never leave a child alone in the house or car.
  • Never leave a child alone in the bathtub. Children can drown in as little as 1 inch of water in 1-2 minutes. If the phone or doorbell rings, wrap the child up in a towel and take him with you.
  • Never leave the crib-side rails down.
  • Never say "medicine is candy." It isn't.
  • Never pick up your child by his arm; instead, grasp at the chest.
  • Never leave your child alone while eating.
  • Never leave a mop pail of water where a child could get into it -- a child could drown.
  • Never leave an infant alone on a bed or changing table.
  • Never use plastic bags as bed coverings.
Being aware of your child's development allows you to keep one step ahead by injury-proofing areas before your child can reach them.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Consumer Alert: Hoverboards Send Dozens to the ER
While hoverboards were one of 2015’s most sought-after gifts, consumer safety experts are warning parents that the two-wheeled, motorized skateboards ...
How can I safely do sports while on an active vacation?
Whether your sport is ice climbing or reef diving, if you're planning an active vacation, depend on ...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?