What individual attributes can help ensure my child's overall well-being?

Individual attributes—characteristics and skills—that have been shown to protect the overall well-being of children include the following:
  • self-regulation: healthy coping skills and strategies to manage emotions and control behaviors
  • relational skills: tools to build healthy relationships (like honesty, effective communication, asserting interpersonal boundaries, refusal skills, compromise and teamwork)
  • problem-solving skills: build resilience and competently resolve conflicts with a balance of help-seeking and autonomy
  • involvement in positive activities: extracurricular activities, clubs, church groups and rewarding work help build a sense of community and achievement

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Every year it seems like more hurricanes and tropical storms are hurdling towards Hawaii. Although there were no direct hits in 2018, the Central Paci...
Why is it important for children to sit in the back seat of a car?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
It is important for children to sit in the back seat of a car rather than the front seat because air...
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?