What are electromagnetic fields (EMFs)?

An electromagnetic field (EMF) is an invisible but measurable field created when electricity flows along an electrical wire. These fields vary in strength and size, from turning on an appliance to the power sent along the lines to businesses and homes in your community. The strongest fields surround high-tension power lines -- the large overhead lines that can carry electricity long distances from the electric utility plant to smaller lines. The strength of an EMF diminishes rapidly as you move away from the source of the field. Over 3 feet from an EMF created by a household appliance, the EMF level significantly diminishes. For high-tension power lines, the EMFs don’t drop off until around 100 yards, or the length of a football field.
Raising Healthy Children in a Toxic World

"101 Smart Solutions for Every Family... Allergens, Asbestos, Herbicides, ... Unsafe Foods..."

Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are invisible lines of force created around power lines, electric wiring, and electrical equipment and appliances whenever electricity is generated or used. Women's neighborhood groups have taken the lead in calling attention to the potential dangers of exposure to EMFs. Some studies have shown increased leukemia and cancer rates among workers exposed to high magnetic fields. Much of the research in the United States on EMFs has been funded by the electric power industry. Scientists disagree about the harmful effects of EMFs, admitting that more investigation is needed. As a result, the federal government has not recommended any limits for worker exposure to EMFs. In the meantime, some simple and inexpensive measures can be taken to reduce the duration and range of EMF exposure. Magnetic fields often drop off about three feet beyond the source, so workstations can be moved farther and layouts for power lines can be redesigned to maintain at least that distance.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
What features in a car are important for seniors to adjust for safety?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Newer vehicles have many features that can be adjusted for safety and convenience that are ideal for...
How can I stay safe and healthy if I'm traveling abroad for spring break?
If you are traveling outside the United States for spring break, it's a good idea to see your doctor...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?