What are electromagnetic fields (EMFs)?

Electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are invisible lines of force created around power lines, electric wiring, and electrical equipment and appliances whenever electricity is generated or used. Women's neighborhood groups have taken the lead in calling attention to the potential dangers of exposure to EMFs. Some studies have shown increased leukemia and cancer rates among workers exposed to high magnetic fields. Much of the research in the United States on EMFs has been funded by the electric power industry. Scientists disagree about the harmful effects of EMFs, admitting that more investigation is needed. As a result, the federal government has not recommended any limits for worker exposure to EMFs. In the meantime, some simple and inexpensive measures can be taken to reduce the duration and range of EMF exposure. Magnetic fields often drop off about three feet beyond the source, so workstations can be moved farther and layouts for power lines can be redesigned to maintain at least that distance.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?