Do I need to wear a helmet if I know how to ride a horse?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
The degree of the riders expertise, the age of the rider, and the number of years riding does not prevent accidents. 23% of rider deaths were due to falls caused by jumping and the other 72% occurred while the rider and horse were standing still, or at the walk, trot, canter and gallop. Trail riding seems to be the most dangerous horse activity. Head injuries are the most common serious riding accident with the largest age group being 22 to 35 having the most serious injuries and death happening to riders over the age of 35.  It is estimated that  60% of the deaths, due to horseback rider’s injuries, are caused by head injuries. Helmets can help prevent a serious head injury.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

E. coli Outbreak Linked to Romaine Lettuce (Again)
Another nationwide outbreak of E. coli infection has prompted recalls of more than 75,000 pounds of romaine lettuce and other salad mixes that contain...
How does milk get contaminated?
Milk contamination can occur in many different ways. Some ways include: Cow feces coming into dir...
How can I prevent pain while using a computer?
Working at a computer all day can cause eye, neck, and back problems. Find out how to avoid them as ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?