How can my family stay illness-free during vacations?

Prior to going on your vacation, schedule a visit with your physician or a travel clinic to see if you need any vaccinations or prophylactic medications while on your trip. For countries outside North America, avoid tap water, drinks with ice in them, and thin-skinned vegetables or fruits (such as tomatoes or apples). In areas known to have malaria, certain medications, insect repellant with DEET, nets around the bed you will sleep in, and long-sleeved shirts and pants are recommended. Also consider the use of sunscreen and alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?