How can I teach my kids to recognize suspicious behavior?

Michele Borba
Instead of scaring (and possibly even confusing) your kids with the “Stranger = Danger” approach, experts suggest that a better way is to teach kids to recognize suspicious situations. Here are a few adult behaviors kids should learn to be aware of:

Asking for help: “I need help finding my child. Please help me!”  “Can you help me look for my puppy?”

Offering treats: “Would you like some candy?” “I have a skateboard in my car. Would you like it?”

Feigning an emergency: “Hurry! You mom was in an accident. I’ll take you to the hospital.”

Flaunting authority: “I think you’re the kid who hurt my son. Come with me and we’ll go find your parents.”

Pretending to be an official: “I’m with the F.B.I. and this is my badge. You must come.” Teach your child to call you ASAP or to dial 9-1-1- to verify the situation.

Faking friendship with a parent. “I’m an old friend of your dad’s. He asked me to come over. Can you take me to your house?”

Emphasize to your child that she can always ask a stranger for help, but an adult stranger does not ask kids for help.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: 8 Tips to Bike Ride Safely
Biking is a great way to get around town and avoid traffic while getting a good workout. Thanks to biki, a bike sharing service, it’s easy for anyone ...
How can I make sure my newborn baby is safe when traveling in a car?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
To travel safely in a car with your newborn baby, your baby will need a safety-approved rear-facing ...
How can my child safely interact with animals?
Children younger than 5 years old should be supervised while interacting with animals. Teach childre...
What supplies should women pack when traveling abroad?
Traveling abroad can sometimes mean a new set of personal hygiene and health regulations, but until ...