How can I teach my child to trust his gut instinct for safety?

Michele Borba
A “fear factor” can be a powerful in keeping kids safe, but often isn’t used because we fail to help our kids learn theirs. Teach your child that if she ever feels he could be in danger, to use that fear instinct and leave immediately. You’ll support her.

I was on the Dr. Phil set recently and witnessed a brilliant safety instructor teach two young girls “Safety Smarts.” She had trained one nine year old that when an abductor grabs from behind (and your gut instinct warns that you could be abducted) to immediately kick him in the groin and then drop to the ground and start having a tantrum like a toddler. The instructor explained that it is much harder to abduct a child who is kicking and screaming on the ground (this is only when the child knows he can’t run). The whole scene took place in less than 60 seconds and succeeded. The instructor had another eight year old watching and immediately asked her to repeat the scenario. The girl assertively jumped into the scene, kicked the instructor so hard she was forced to let go, then got on the ground and copied verbatim what the other child had just done.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...
What are the most common summer injuries?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
The injuries that orthopedic practices see in the summer are usually related to being outside. The w...
Who certifies equine safety helmets?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is the coordinator and administrator for helmet certification. ...
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?