What are some summer safety tips?

Dr. Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Geriatrics Nursing Specialist

At last it is picnic weather! You make sure you keep your beer on ice but what about the picnic basket? All those cold cuts, salads, and mayo for the kaiser rolls can turn deadly without chilling. Food poisoning can kill but most often you just feel like you are going to die! It can take days for the vomiting and diarrhea to stop, depending on what germs invaded your chicken caesar wrap while you were playing catch under the sun.

Here are safe food tips:

1. Keep the food cooler cool at all times.
  2. Do not leave food out for more than 2 hours.
  3. Discard whatever food is not eaten within that two hours.
  4. Creamy foods and meats tend to spoil faster than raw veggies for example.
  5. For the BBQ, do not put cooked items back on the plate that held the raw meats. That goes for utensils as well.

Summer safety will depend on what region you live in, but a few good rules of thumb are sunscreen, hydration, and water safety. A good sunblock will not only prevent burns but also protect against sun cancer and preserve the cosmetic appearance of your skin. Staying well hydrated will prevent illnesses such as hypertermia and dehydration. Finally, with more water sports in the summer, it is always important to ensure water safety for all participants, especially nonswimmers and children.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
Picture This! Selfie Dangers
LeBron James (basketball), Shawn White (snowboard) and Caroline Wozniacki (tennis) have one thing in common: They’re notorious selfie-takers. There’s ...
Hawaii’s Feral Cats Could Harm Your Health
It’s hard to go anywhere in Hawaii without running into at least one free-roaming cat. These include feral cats, pets allowed to roam, and lost and ab...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...