Do states enforce the use of helmets when riding horses?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
Most states do not enforce helmet laws when riding horses.  New York was the first state in the United States to enact a law stating that children under the age of fourteen must wear a helmet meeting or exceeding ASTM safety standards.  The law became effective January 5, 2000. 

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Working Against Gun Violence
Working Against Gun Violence
There’s a ban on smoking in most bars and restaurants in the U.S.; in most cities, there’s a ban on spitting in public; and in many states dancing on ...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?
Can Dirty Laundry Make My Family Sick?