Should I worry about arsenic in my baby's infant formula?

Talk about good intentions gone wrong. Some companies that make baby formula decided to remove high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) from their products. So far, so good. To sweeten the formula, they replaced HFCS with organic brown rice syrup. Unfortunately, organic brown rice syrup more than occasionally contains arsenic -- up to six times more than the federal limit for bottled water, according to a recent study.

You might be wondering: Why compare arsenic levels in baby formula to those in bottled water? Because that's the only standard we have to work with. Believe it or not, there is no federal limit for arsenic in baby formula or any other food (and if you think that's as crazy as I do, write your congressman or -woman). Suffice to say that this study should get your attention if you buy baby formula. Long-term exposure to arsenic can cause liver, skin, kidney, and heart problems, especially in infants.

Fortunately, there's an easy solution to this problem: Just read labels and skip products that contain organic brown rice syrup. That shouldn't be too hard to do. A survey of various brands of infant formula found that just a few contain this sweetener. By the way, read the label on your energy etc. bars and other things and skip the organic or regular ice extract or syrups here, too!

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
No, You Shouldn’t Surf in Hurricanes
From the alii of Hawaii nei riding koa boards along the Waikiki break, to athletes competing in big-time events on Oahu’s North Shore, to everyday ent...
What Do I Do If I Encounter a Black Widow Spider?
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?