Is it safe to play sports in the heat?

When participating in sports while there is a high heat index, the body reacts as though it is in a higher degree temperature than the thermometer says. It is important to keep this in mind, as the athlete has a higher chance of suffering from heat-related injury, such as heat cramps, exhaustion, and stroke, and needs to be monitored closely. Most weather-related Web pages will provide information regarding the temperature as well as the heat index for your local area.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Turn Around, Don't Drown—Plus Other Ways to Stay Safe During a Flood
Every year it seems like more hurricanes and tropical storms are hurdling towards Hawaii. Although there were no direct hits in 2018, the Central Paci...
How dangerous is driving while drowsy?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
The statistics speak volumes: Approximately one in every six fatal crashes—or 16.5%—in the US inv...
What safety information should I look for when purchasing an equine helmet?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
Certified helmets must show the date they were manufactured.  They should be replaced every five yea...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?