Is it safe for me to consume pistachio nuts?

Vandana  R. Sheth
Yes, as long as you are not allergic to them and you include them in moderation as part of a healthy diet.
Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Also, since the pistachio belongs to the same family as the mango and cashew, parts of the pistachio contain similar oleoresins, which have caused contact dermatitis and have been shown to cause IgE-mediated allergic reactions. Individuals who are allergic to mangoes or cashew nuts should therefore avoid pistachios as well.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
How can employers prevent heat-related illnesses among their workers?
Employers should check on employees working in hot environments throughout their shift to make sure ...
How can I keep my child safe in the car?
A child is at a huge risk of severe injury or even death if she is not properly restrained with a ch...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?