Is it safe for my child to practice sports in the rain?

As long as the practice surface does not get slippery when wet, practicing in the rain is not dangerous to athletes. However, a slippery surface increases the risk of joint and muscle injury. It is important to remember that rain does not always mean thunder and lightning. It is the lightning that creates an unsafe environment when practicing outdoors.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Marist College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
How can I stay safe when doing outdoor winter activities?
Be safe during winter recreation. Notify friends and family where you will be before you go hiking, ...
How can I help prevent my child from drowning?
You cannot be too vigilant around pools, lakes, oceans and bathtubs. If you have a pool, make sure t...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?