How should I protect my teenage girl from dangerous websites?

Michele Borba
My first suggestion: SAY NO to these sites. Block those that you can. Put post-it notes on your computer that list sites that are never-ever to be viewed (and set a clear consequence).

If you haven’t sat down with your kids and had “the media talk” and reviewed your computer standards, you don’t have a moment to lose. If you haven’t turned on those filters or figured out how to track your child’s visits in cyberspace, get cracking. And if you haven’t taught your kids the “Walk By Rule,” plop them on the couch tonight and explain:

“The Walk By Rule means if I ever walk by our computer — which will only be kept in a central place that I can see and touch– and notice you covering up the screen and shutting down a window, I will pull the plug. ASAP. No questions asked.”

Meanwhile, stay vigilant, tune up your values, monitor those computers, hug your kids—and stay involved (as in very involved) in their lives.

And stress, stress, and stress again: “Who you are inside is what matters.”

Outraged? I hope so. If we weren’t concerned enough about our daughters’ emotional well being, these sites should take us to the blood boiling level.

These are just three of many toxic sites that I’m nominating for the “Internet Hall of Shame.”  What are yours?

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Expert Safety Tips on Playing Sports and Mowing the Lawn
Q: We bought a new house with a nice front and back yard. My husband is excited about cutting the lawn and is off buying a new push mower. I don’t wan...
What are some grilling safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If you are planning to barbecue: If you're using a propane gas grill, inspect your propane tank a...
What are the most common summer injuries?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
The injuries that orthopedic practices see in the summer are usually related to being outside. The w...
What is the correct way to wear a seatbelt in the car?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The lap (lower) part of the belt should be sitting low and tight across the upper part of your hips....