How can I protect my child from knives in the kitchen?

Leigh Vinocur, MD
Emergency Medicine
As far as knives, it goes without saying to keep them out of reach of young children. Some other tips for safe knife handling include:

– Pay attention! Don't get distracted while cutting or slicing.

– Don't keep knives in a disorganized drawer where they stick up and stab someone reaching into the drawer. If you do keep knives in a communal drawer, put a cork on the sharp tip.

– Keep knives sharp. Dull knives require more pressure to cut and that makes them more likely to slip and cut you.

– Hold the knife in your stronger hand, pick it up by the handle, cut on a flat cutting board surface, curl fingers under and away from the edge of the blade, and don't ever try to catch a falling knife.

– Don't bury knives under other dishes in the sink and turn the knife point upside down when loading a dishwasher.

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
What features in a car are important for seniors to adjust for safety?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Newer vehicles have many features that can be adjusted for safety and convenience that are ideal for...
What type of protection will an ASTM/SEI helmet give me?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
ASTM/SEI helmets provide protection to the skull and brain.  A term used when measuring the effectiv...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?