How can I help prevent my child from getting injured from falling?

While you're not going to be able to prevent every fall, there are some basic preventive strategies you can take to minimize the chances of serious injury. When your child graduates to a big-kid bed, put rails on the sides so she doesn't roll out; put gates on the stairs as soon as she's mobile; install window guards; and be vigilant about making your child wear a helmet anytime she's biking, blading, scootering, skating, skiing, boarding, etc. If you get her in the habit early, it will become second nature. A helmet can be a fashion statement, so let him pick out his own! And be a model: Wear one yourself; remember, kids follow your actions.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
How can I use fireworks safely?
Dr. Leigh Vinocur, MDDr. Leigh Vinocur, MD
The Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that over two-thirds of injuries from fireworks occ...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?