How do I prepare my pets for the arrival of a baby?

Here are some ideas for helping Fido prepare for the family newbie:
  1. Prep the Smell. Have a friend or partner bring something home with the baby's smell on it (like a receiving blanket) and give it to your pet before you return from the hospital.
  2. Introduce the Stranger. Start carrying a baby doll around the house when you're pregnant; let the pup sniff it and gauge his reaction, so you know what kind of training and limits you need to set.
  3. Do the Once-Over.Make sure your pet is up-to-date with all shots and health checks, and get him used to having his nails trimmed, since the only thing in house with newborns that ought to have long nails is the toolbox in the garage. As you gradually introduce your baby to your pet, reward your pet for good behavior around the baby (keep plenty of treats handy).
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Consumer Alert: Hoverboards Send Dozens to the ER
While hoverboards were one of 2015’s most sought-after gifts, consumer safety experts are warning parents that the two-wheeled, motorized skateboards ...
Who is the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI)?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
The Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) is also an independent testing lab that tests and certifies pro...
How can I prevent injuries from falls?
Here are some tips on preventing injuries from falls: Use a soft landing surface on playgrounds (...
How can I avoid bats while hiking or camping?
Some bats roost in tree cavities or foliage and might be spotted in areas where outdoor activities t...